Here we go! The beginning of December and the start of the holiday season! This is such a fun time of the year but it can also be the most unhealthy…that is if we let it. Right now, we’re coming off of Thanksgiving weekend and although the best intentions for most of us was to eat light, avoid the gravy, and go light on desserts; most whom I’ve talked to did pretty well, but still over indulged a bit! Then there was the 2 days after Thanksgiving and we certainly don’t want to waste any of that hard labored food! So, once again, here we go in to office parties, friendly get-togethers, homemade cookies, Sees candy and limited time for workouts. So the question is: Can you make it to January without gaining any weight?
Of course you can, but you’ll need to go into battle with a plan! (That is if you DO want to eliminate any excess weight gain.)
Here are some suggestions. You can make your own list, choose one of mine, or choose all of mine! Either way, right now, determine how you want to fit into your pants on January 1, 2011…today!
- Exercise 5 or more days a week, getting your heart rate up each day! (30-60 minutes is optimal according to the American College of Sports Medicine).
- Choose only sweets which are once a year treats vs. something you can pick up any time of the year and only have a taste.
- If you have drinks, minimize to 2 and have water in between. Avoid the mixers too!
- Stay clear of creamy, deep fried, buttery foods as much as possible.
- When going to a party, eat something balanced before hand and you’ll have significantly more willpower.
- Drink more water than usual this time of year.
- Plan on wearing your year round pants or tops to parties, when appropriate, instead of hiding behind capes, scarves, and jackets “just in case” you put on a few pounds.
- Have an accountability buddy to help keep you on track.
- Join me in no sweets at all until January 1st!
These are only a few options you can use, or make up your own! Get honest with yourself, though. You CAN enjoy this season without putting on weight. That will help ensure you’ll also enjoy the season after this season!